|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 57g||73%|
|Saturated Fat 29g||147%|
|Total Carbohydrate 26g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This rich make ahead casserole is topped with a crunchy, cheesy topping that is kind of like dumplings, but with more texture. Alfredo sauce, frozen vegetables, and precooked chicken make it easy. The last time I made it I used Havarti cheese instead of cheddar, and it was sublime.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 (16 ounce) jar four cheese Alfredo sauce
- 2-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower
- 1-1/4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar or Havarti cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar or Havarti cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Gather the ingredients.
- In heavy saucepan, cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until tender. Add flour; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon thyme leaves and milk; cook and stir until thick.
- Remove from heat and add Alfredo sauce, chicken, 1-1/4 cups Cheddar or Havarti cheese, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, and the frozen vegetables; stir gently. Place in a 2-1/2 quart casserole. Cover and refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
- When ready to eat, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place casserole, covered, in oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until warm. Meanwhile, in small bowl combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, baking powder, 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup Cheddar or Havarti cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg and mix with a fork until crumbly.
- Uncover casserole and crumble this topping evenly over the top. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes longer, until filling bubbles and the topping is golden brown and crisp.
- You can also bake the casserole right away. After you place the chicken mixture in the casserole dish, top with the crumbly mixture and bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 25-35 minutes until bubbly and brown.