This is a versatile chicken casserole recipe made with your favorite frozen cooked vegetables and a basic white sauce. Cubes of bread and shredded cheddar cheese bring it all together to make a whole meal in one dish. Take this casserole along to a potluck dinner or make it and bake it for a busy day meal. It takes about 15 minutes to put together and it takes 25 minutes to bake.
If your day is super busy, assemble the casserole early in the day; cover and refrigerate it until about 20 minutes before you plan to bake it.
It's all homemade, but you could cut corners with a rotisserie chicken or frozen or packaged refrigerated cooked chicken breast meat.
- 2 cups soft bread cubes (2 to 3 slices)
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup cooked vegetables (peas, green beans, mixed, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Combine bread cubes with melted butter and cheese; arrange half of mixture in a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole. Spread vegetables over the bread mixture.
- Sauté chopped onion in remaining 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Blend in flour and seasonings; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add milk, stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbling. Stir in cooked cubed chicken.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables in casserole; arrange tomato slices over sauce then top with remaining bread mixture.
- Bake at 325° for 25 to 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly and the top is lightly browned.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||49 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|