|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 38g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 21g||106%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Swiss steak has been around since the early 1900s. It is typically made with sliced round steak or rump, baked with tomatoes, onions, peppers, and seasonings.
This version is cooked in the crock pot with tomatoes and condensed soup. It isn't necessary to brown the beef before adding it to the slow cooker, but browning does add extra flavor.
The simple combination of beef steak, vegetables, and seasonings is cooked to perfection in the slow cooker.
- 1 large onion (quartered and sliced)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound round steak (cut into 4 portions)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes (about 2 cups)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounces) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 medium bay leaf
Gather the ingredients.
Spray crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.
Place sliced onion in bottom of crockery insert.
In a shallow plate, combine the flour, parsley, salt, and pepper.
Dredge each steak portion in the flour mixture.
Then pound with a meat mallet to tenderize and flatten somewhat.
Place the steaks in the crock pot over the onions.
Top with chopped celery.
In another bowl, combine the tomatoes with cream of mushroom soup and any remaining flour mixture.
Spoon soup mixture over the steaks and celery.
Cover and cook on LOW for seven to nine hours or until steaks are very tender.
- For extra depth of flavor, brown the dredged steaks in a skillet in a small amount of olive oil before placing them in the slow cooker. Brown the onions as well, if desired.
- Add chopped bell peppers to the crock pot along with the celery and tomatoes.