|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 2 quarts (6 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||21%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is a basic potato soup seasoned with some basil and parsley, along with chopped onions, celery, and carrots. The potatoes and vegetables are cooked in the slow cooker with chicken broth. Cream or half-and-half are added to the soup near the end of the cooking time.
Serve this great tasting, hearty potato soup with crusty bread or biscuits and a simple salad.
- 6 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 2 ribs celery (thinly sliced)
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups cream (or half-and-half)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh chopped)
- Optional: Cooked crumbled bacon or sliced green onions
Gather the ingredients.
Combine diced potatoes, chopped onion, carrots, celery, chicken broth, basil, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
Stir together flour and cream or half-and-half; stir into soup. Stir in the parsley.
Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until hot.
If desired, sprinkle cooked crumbled bacon, chopped chives, or sliced green onion tops over each serving.
Add diced ham or browned sausage to the slow cooker along with the vegetables for a heartier lunch or supper soup.