|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is a basic potato soup seasoned with some basil and parsley, along with chopped onions, celery, and carrots. The potatoes and vegetables are cooked in the slow cooker with chicken broth. Cream or half-and-half are added to the soup near the end of the cooking time.
Serve this great tasting, hearty potato soup with crusty bread or biscuits and a simple salad.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups cream or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Cooked crumbled bacon or sliced green onions, optional
Combine diced potatoes, chopped onion, carrots, celery, chicken broth, basil, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
Stir together flour and cream or half-and-half; stir into soup. Stir in the parsley.
Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until hot.
If desired, sprinkle cooked crumbled bacon, chopped chives, or sliced green onion tops over each serving.
Add diced ham or browned sausage to the slow cooker along with the vegetables for a heartier lunch or supper soup.