Creamy Gluten-Free Scalloped Potatoes make an elegant side dish perfect for special occasions and holiday menus. It's an easy layered and hearty dish that will feed a crowd but won't break the budget.
Sweet Rice Flour has a higher starch content than regular rice flour, which makes it an excellent thickening agent. Don't let "sweet" fool you, though. This flour is not sugary sweet. Sweet Rice Flour works beautifully to help give this scalloped potato dish its creamy essence. It works well as a thickener for other sauces, too, such as gluten-free bechamel.
This dish is sure to be a crowd pleaser at your next gathering, a side dish everyone can enjoy, not just those who are gluten-free.
For a dairy-free version of this recipe, substitute milk and butter with your favorite dairy-free products. You can either omit the cheese or use a dairy-free Cheddar substitute.
- 6 peeled, thinly sliced Yukon gold or Russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cubed butter or dairy-free butter substitute
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups milk or dairy-free milk substitute (more, if needed to cover potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked gluten-free ham (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 176 C. Set aside a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Layer 1/3 of the sliced potatoes around the bottom of the dish, slightly overlapping potatoes. Scatter about 1/3 cup cubed ham over the bottom potato layer (optional). Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, minced parsley and dot with about 1/3 of cubed butter. Repeat layers. Sprinkle top layer with cheese and paprika.
- Whisk sweet rice flour with about 1/2 cup milk until smooth and lumps disappear. Add remaining milk and whisk. Pour over potatoes and add more milk if necessary to just cover the top of the potatoes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork and the top is golden brown.
- Allow it to sit about 20 minutes before serving.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
Edited by Stephanie Kirkos
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|