Easy low-fat white sauce recipe, made flavorful with a little onion and optional cheese.
- 2 tablespoons onion (finely minced)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine (dry)
- 1 teaspoon chicken base (or bouillon granules, such as Wyler's Shakers)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: 2 to 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (fresh grated or shredded Cheddar cheese)
Cook onion and broth in a 1-quart saucepan until liquid is almost all cooked away.
In a small bowl, whisk flour with the skim milk. Add to the saucepan and continue to cook, whisking, until sauce begins to thicken. Add wine and soup base; taste and season with salt and pepper.
If desired, blend in a few tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese or a little-shredded Cheddar cheese, and cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes longer, until well blended.