|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This extra creamy macaroni and cheese casserole is made rich and flavorful with a combination of shredded cheddar and American cheeses, along with light cream and seasonings.
The buttery croissant crumbs top this casserole off in a great way but feel free to use soft fresh bread crumbs in the recipe instead.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups light cream or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or your favorite gourmet mustard)
- 3 cups cheese (half Cheddar and half American, shredded, divided)
- 1 cup croissant crumbs (or soft bread crumbs)
Grease a 2-quart baking dish. Heat oven to 350°.
Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions; drain in a colander and rinse with hot water.
In a medium saucepan or saucier, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until foamy; stir in the flour until bubbly. Add the milk and cream, along with the salt, pepper, and mustard. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
Stir in 2 cups of the cheese until melted. Add the drained macaroni and blend well.
Pour into the prepared baking dish.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the croissant crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole.
Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until bubbly and nicely browned.