|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 67g||86%|
|Saturated Fat 35g||173%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This creamy mushroom soup is flavored with cheddar cheese and chunks of smoked andouille sausage. Feel free to use another variety of smoked sausage in this recipe. Kielbasa would work as well.
Top the soup with diced andouille sausage, chives, parsley, or green onions.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 to 16 ounces andouille sausage (halved lengthwise then thinly sliced)
- 16 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (mashed and finely minced)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth (unsalted or low sodium)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) mild cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash of salt (to taste)
- Garnish: chives, parsley, or additional sliced green onion tops
In a large pot or Dutch oven, saute the sliced sausage in the oil over medium heat.
Transfer sausage to a plate and add mushrooms to the drippings left in the pot. If needed, add a little more oil.
Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
Add the green onions and garlic to the mushrooms; saute for 1 minute longer.
Pour mushroom mixture, with any liquids, into a bowl and set aside.
Melt the butter in the same pot.
Stir in flour until blended and bubbly and continue cooking, stirring, for 1 minute.
Stir in the broth and cook, stirring, until thickened.
Add the cream and cheese to the broth mixture, stirring until melted.
Add the sausage and mushroom mixture back to the pot. Stir and add nutmeg and pepper.
Taste and add salt, as needed. Heat through.
Serve with more green onion, snipped chives, or chopped parsley for garnish.
- There are many ways you can mix up this recipe by just using what's in your pantry. For example, you can use shallots instead of green onions, cayenne pepper, and then add shrimp, red bell pepper, celery, and leftover rice if you have any on hand.