These well-seasoned scalloped potatoes are combined with a basic white sauce to make a creamy and delicious casserole.
The potatoes are topped with shredded cheese and a little paprika just before serving. Use cheddar or Gruyere cheese in this recipe.
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups potatoes* (thinly sliced)
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese or Gruyere
- Garnish: paprika (for color)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 400 F. Butter a shallow, 2-quart casserole.
- Bring 2 to 3 inches of water to boil in a medium saucepan; add onions, sliced potatoes, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and boil for 5 minutes; drain.
- Melt butter in the same saucepan; blend in flour, pepper, and remaining teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to cook the flour.
- Gradually stir in the milk and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in parsley.
- Combine the potatoes with the white sauce; place in the prepared baking dish and bake, uncovered, for about 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar or Gruyere cheese and paprika over potatoes and bake 3 to 6 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
*Tip: Waxy potatoes hold their shape better and are the best choice for scalloped potatoes, gratins, and potato salads. Use new potatoes, red-skinned potatoes, round whites, or purple potatoes in this recipe.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|