Here's a quick and easy chicken noodle soup recipe, and it's hearty enough for a family meal. Condensed soups and some real cream make this soup rich and creamy while adding fabulous flavor. But it isn't all convenience foods; fresh chopped vegetables, some herbs, and frozen peas and carrots make it nutritious, colorful, and full-flavored.
Serve this delicious chicken noodle soup for lunch or dinner, along with crackers or biscuits and a tossed salad. Feel free to use broken linguini or spaghetti in this dish instead of noodles. Or add about 1 cup of cooked rice to the soup. See the tips and variations for more ideas.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley or about 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 to 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 5 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 scant teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
- 4 ounces medium noodles, cooked and drained
- kosher salt, to taste
- croutons, crackers, or biscuits, for serving
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onion and celery and sauté until onion is tender. Add the parsley, chicken, chicken broth, soups, poultry seasoning, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and carrots, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in the cream or half-and-half, along with the cooked noodles; add salt to taste. Heat through.
- Serve the soup with crackers or hot baked biscuits, or top it with croutons or oyster crackers.
Tips and Variations
- Use diced meat from a rotisserie chicken or buy a package of refrigerated roasted chicken breast strips.
- Replace the peas and carrots with a package of mixed vegetables.
- Replace the noodles with broken spaghetti or about 1/2 cup of ditalini or another small pasta shape.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||56 g|
|Saturated Fat||32 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|