|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Total Carbohydrate 50g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This creamy rice pudding recipe is so simple to prepare, even the kids can make it all by themselves. Using a slow cooker means that you can add all the ingredients, turn it on, and walk away. A few hours later you have a warm and homey dessert, scented with vanilla and cinnamon, that the whole family will love.
Rice pudding is made from rice, water or milk, and flavorings and fruit, like cinnamon or raisins. It's a traditional dessert that can be found nearly all over the world, and the recipes vary slightly depending on the region. Some are boiled while others are baked, and different spices, toppings, and sweeteners will give each rice pudding its own distinct taste. Feel free to play around with this recipe, and customize it by adding different toppings.
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Garnish: toppings such as cherries and chopped pistachios
Gather the ingredients.
Spray the slow cooker stoneware with cooking spray.
Combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker.
Cook on HIGH 2 to 3 hours or LOW 4 to 5 hours (follow the directions for your slow cooker, as they may vary depending on the model).
Spoon into individual bowls or cups and serve warm, or refrigerate to chill to serve cold.
Add any toppings if desired and enjoy.
- You can make this rice pudding dairy-free by replacing the milk with a non-dairy option, such as almond, soy, or coconut milk. Not only will the pudding be allergy-friendly but it also gives the rice an additional flavor.
- Although any long-grain rice works well in this recipe, there is something called "pudding rice" available that is ideal when making rice pudding.
- The rice pudding will last about 4 days in the refrigerator when covered well.
- Dust some cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger, or cardamom onto each serving.
- Add chopped nuts like pistachios, almonds, cashews, or walnuts.
- Top with dried fruit such as raisins, dried apricots, or cranberries.
- Drizzle on some honey or sweetened condensed milk.
- Sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar onto the rice pudding.
- Shave milk or dark chocolate on top of the finished pudding.
- Arrange some fruit like bananas, berries, mangoes, coconut flakes, or lemon zest on each serving.
Is Rice Pudding Healthy?
In comparison to other types of desserts, rice pudding is a healthier choice, especially since it is void of cream, chocolate, and other rich ingredients. But the whole milk and sugar do add fat and calories to the dish, so it is best to eat in moderation. You also need to watch what you use as toppings, which can add to the calorie count.