I had a bunch of pitas in my house after our party this weekend and I was trying to think of different ways to use them up. What is easier than making a breakfast pizza using a pita? The pita makes a perfect crust and stands up really well to the cracked egg and creamy spinach.
Whenever I make creamed spinach I always end up having some left over. I freeze it so I can use it for dips, pizzas, and other yummies. I use Emeril's basic creamed spinach recipe, with a few of my own tweaks. It's creamy, cheesy, and completely decadent. And it tastes amazing on top of a pita and topped with a freshly cracked egg. You could also top this with scrambled eggs after you are done baking!
I love spinach for breakfast! It's delicious in a spinach feta breakfast wrap and it's amazing on this breakfast pita. There's nothing like getting those greens in your system first thing in the morning.
- For the Creamed Spinach:
- 2 cups spinach (frozen, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- For the Pizza:
- 4 greek pitas (no pocket)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 4 eggs
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Garnish: grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare the creamed spinach first. Boil a pot of salted water. Add the frozen spinach to the water and cook until completely thawed and cooked through.
- Drain and squeeze the spinach in a sieve to remove any excess water.
- Place the butter in a sauce pan. Heat until the butter is melted. Add the garlic and onion powder, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine and then add the the drained spinach.
- Add the heavy cream and stir to combine. Cook until the cream is reduced and slightly thickened. Add the parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- Let the creamed spinach cool slightly and preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Place the pitas on parchment paper on top of a pizza peel (to get it into the oven easier!)
- Spread an even amount of the creamed spinach mixture on top of each pita.
- Top each pita with the grated mozzarella cheese.
- Gently crack an egg on top of each pizza. Be careful not to break the yolk.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the egg white is cooked and set, but the yolk is still runny!
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt and pepper and grated parmesan cheese. Cut into triangles and serve immediately!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||32 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|