|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 32g||41%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||66%|
|Total Carbohydrate 136g||50%|
|Dietary Fiber 35g||124%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This hearty taco soup is made with ground beef, cheese, and tomatoes. The recipe calls for one or two cans of pinto beans, but feel free to use black beans or chili beans instead. I added 1 can of pinto beans and 1 cup of corn kernels.
Top this taco soup with shredded taco-seasoned cheese, cheddar, or pepper jack cheese.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese (cut into cubes)
- 1 (10-ounce) can Ro-Tel (tomatoes with green chiles)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can chili (no beans)
- 2 (16-ounce) cans pinto beans (drained)
- 2 cups sour cream
- Tortilla chips (or tortilla strips see below)
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until the beef is no longer pink and the onion is translucent.
Combine the Velveeta cheese, tomatoes, chili, and beans together in a large pot. Stir in the browned ground beef and onions.
Add the sour cream and season with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and garlic powder, to taste. Heat through.
Serve with tortilla chips crunched up or fried tortilla strips. The chips can be a garnish or add some to the bowls before you add the soup.
- If you prefer a "soupier" soup, do not drain the beans. If you like your soup thicker, drain beans and tomatoes. If, when it is ready, it is too thick, add some beef stock.
- The soup can also be served as a dip with chips. Drain the beans and tomatoes before adding them to the pot. Heat and transfer to a slow cooker or chafing dish and keep warm for serving.
- To make homemade tortilla strips for garnish, cut a few corn tortilla in half and then cut each half crosswise into narrow strips. Arrange the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 F oven for about 15 minutes, or until crisp.
- Instead of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, season the soup with commercial or homemade taco seasoning, to taste.
- Replace the pinto beans with canned black beans.
- Add a cup or two of corn kernels to the soup.