|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 59g||76%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Tarragon is a bright, delicious herb that really works well with most foods. It contains a mild licorice flavor that enhances but does not overpower the dish it is added to. This is the case with this creamy potato salad. Adjust the amount of tarragon in this recipe to suit your tastes. Try this potato salad at your next cookout. It works especially well with grilled chicken, fish, and pork.
- 8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch1-inchs
- 1 tablespoon salt (for boiling water)
- 2 cups/480 mL mayonnaise
- 3 large boiled eggs, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL fresh tarragon, chopped (use less if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL capers
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL caper liquid
- 2 teaspoons/10 ml salt (use more if needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL black pepper
1. Fill a medium stockpot with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add salt and stir through.
2. Peel, rinse and chop potatoes. Add to pot and cook over medium heat for 20-23 minutes, or until they are tender. Make sure the potatoes are not overcooked or the salad will become too mushy.
3. Prepare an ice bath for potatoes by filling a large bowl with cold water and ice. Drain cooked potatoes in a colander or large strainer. Leave potatoes in a strainer (or colander) and immediately place the whole thing into the ice bath. Make sure potatoes are covered by the cold water. Let sit in ice bath for 15 minutes.
4. Peel and finely chop boiled eggs. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon, Dijon mustard, capers, caper liquid, onion powder, black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
5. Drain potatoes once more and add it and chopped boiled eggs to mixture. Gently combine. Taste once again for flavor. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt if needed. Remember that potatoes soak up salt, so don't be shy adding a little more. It will keep the salad from being too bland.
6. Scoop potato salad into a serving bowl and top with remaining 1 tablespoon of chopped tarragon. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
7. Salad can be made a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator immediately after preparation. When serving, make sure to keep salad cool, especially if outdoors. Set bowl on a baking tray filled with ice. Refill as necessary. Store leftover salad in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
8. Serve with grilled or smoked chicken, pork, and fish. Remove eggs and use a vegan mayonnaise for a vegetarian/vegan option.