A little light cream or half-and-half makes this a little richer than many vanilla sauces. It's an easy, tasty topping to make for slices of pound cake or a warm bread pudding.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cream (light, or half-and-half)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- In a bowl, whisk the cornstarch and sugar together until well blended. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the water and cream to a boil.
- Whisk in the sugar and cornstarch mixture and simmer, stirring, for about 2 minutes, until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter, vanilla, and salt.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups of sauce, perfect for a pound cake, bread pudding, or gingerbread.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|