Creamy Vegetarian Miso Gravy Recipe. An easy vegetarian and vegan gravy recipe for your mashed potatoes or Thanksgiving dinner. This easy homemade miso gravy recipe is made from vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, and of course, miso.
Vegetarian gravy doesn't have any animal fat to add flavor, so you have to add extra flavor and seasonings, in this case, in the form of soy sauce, nutritional yeast, and most importantly for this recipe, miso. But the process of making a meat-free gravy is very similar to making gravy from animal drippings: you thicken up the core ingredients using flour, cornstarch (or, in this recipe, both), and plan on doing lots of stirring to get rid of any lumps.
Just like a regular gravy, this vegetarian gravy will thicken slightly as it stands and cools, so consider that when adding extra corn starch or liquid.
- 2 tbsp miso
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp water or soy milk, as needed
- First, combine the miso and the water and whisk them both together until the miso is completely dissolved in the water. Tip: You can also heat the water up a bit first in order to speed up this process, if you would like and are short on time.
- In a large skillet, melt the vegan margarine over medium-low heat and whisk in the flour until a paste forms. Add the miso and water mixture, the vegetable broth, soy sauce, nutritional yeast and the black pepper and stir to combine very well.
- Allow to cook over low heat until thickened, stirring frequently. Just like when making a non-vegan gravy, you will need to do a lot of stirring to avoid any lumps forming as the liquid thickens up.
- Add the cornstarch (dissolved in water first) if needed, to make the gravy even thicker. Add more cornstarch if needed, but don't forget that your gravy will thicken slightly as it cools - just like a meat-based gravy.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|