A rich and creamy vegetarian shepherd's pie recipe using lots of healthy vegetables instead of meat. You could also try this vegetarian shepherd's pie with TVP for a more meat-like dish, or, try this vegetarian shepherd's pie with lentils.
This recipe is vegetarian, but in order to keep it vegan, you'll need to omit the optional Parmesan cheese and use a non-dairy vegan yogurt. And of course, make sure you use a vegan margarine or vegan butter substitute.
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped small
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy or regular yogurt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup
- vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup milk or soy milk
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 F.
- First, prepare your vegetables. Combine the carrot, broccoli, cauliflower green beans, green peas and sliced mushrooms, and steam just until tender. Set aside. You can omit one or two of the vegetables if you don't like them or don't have any on hand and just add a bit more of whatever you have and like.
- Next, prepare your potatoes. Peeling is always optional. Perhaps don't bother if you're just cooking for myself, but most people prefer them peeled. If you're not peeling, give your potatoes a good scrub, at least.
- Boil the potatoes in water until soft. Drain them well, then and mash your potatoes together with the remaining 2 tablespoons of margarine, the yogurt, and the optional Parmesan cheese.
- Next, prepare the sauce. In a large saucepan, whisk together 2 tablespoons of margarine, flour, vegetable broth, soy milk and sage over low heat and stirring to combine well. Cook just until the sauce begins to thicken and add a bit of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the steamed vegetables, stir to combine well with the sauce, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Finally, assemble your shepherd's pie. Spread the vegetables in sauce in a large baking dish, and spread the potato mixture on top.
- Sprinkle additional parmesan cheese on top if you'd like. Season lightly with a touch of extra salt and pepper, if you'd like.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly golden.
See also: More healthy vegetarian recipe ideas
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|