Say goodbye to that boring bowl of oatmeal, topped with maybe a drizzle of milk or a sprinkle of brown sugar. These creative topping ideas will ensure breakfast's most popular hot cereal never tastes bland again.
You can use any type of oatmeal as the base for these recipes and flavor combinations, but I like steel cut oatmeal. It is less processed than rolled oats, and you can make it the night before in the slow cooker, then wake up in the morning to a hot heaping bowl of oatmeal that's just ready for topping.
The quantities of these toppings is entirely up to you. For some, like the nuts, you may want to use as little as a tablespoon per service. For others, like berries, add 1/2 cup or more.
- Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal - Sliced fresh strawberries and milk, cream or half and half.
- Oatmeal Apple Pie - Melt 1 tsp. butter in a small skillet. Add 1 peeled and sliced apple. Add a pinch of cinnamon and 1-2 tsp. of brown sugar. Saute until the apple is softened.
- Greek Yogurt Parfait Oatmeal - Plain, honey or vanilla Greek yogurt (or regular yogurt, but Greek yogurt is thicker), fresh berries, granola and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Chocolate Almond Crunch Oatmeal - Homemade chocolate hazelnut spread or store-bought Nutella and slivered almonds.
- Banana Bread Oatmeal - Sliced bananas, chopped walnuts, cinnamon and pure maple syrup.
- Oatmeal Key Lime Pie - Lime curd and crushed graham cracker crumbs.
- Tropical Oatmeal - Chunks of fresh pineapple, sliced bananas, unsweetened coconut and chopped almonds or macadamia nuts.
- Blueberry Cheesecake Oatmeal - Mix 2 Tbsp. of ricotta cheese with 1-2 tsp. of sugar. Dollop on the oatmeal. Top with 1-2 Tbsp. blueberry pie filling.
- S'mores Oatmeal - Mini marshmallows, crushed graham cracker crumbs, mini chocolate chips and brown sugar.
- Fluffernutter Oatmeal - Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff.
- Pecan Praline Oatmeal - Store-bought or homemade glazed pecans or spiced pecans and a drizzle of pure maple syrup.
- Mounds Bar Oatmeal - Sweetened flaked coconut or unsweetened shredded coconut and dark chocolate chips.
- Trail Mix Oatmeal - Raisins, sweetened dried cranberries, chopped walnuts, pumpkin seeds and slivered almonds with milk.
- Gingerbread Oatmeal - Molasses, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg with raisins.
- Chocolate Pudding Pie Oatmeal - Prepared chocolate pudding, whipped cream and crushed chocolate sandwich cookies.
- Cheese Danish Oatmeal - Mix 1-2 Tbsp. softened cream cheese with 1-3 tsp. powdered sugar. Top with a spoonful of strawberry jelly, fresh sliced strawberries and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
- Sweet and Salty Oatmeal - Brown sugar, crumbled bacon and maple syrup.
Don't Miss: Favorite Oatmeal Recipes for the Whole Family