The Creole sauce is a spicy tomato sauce made with sauteed onions, green peppers, and garlic, and seasoned with cayenne pepper.
Note: This recipe calls for 1 quart of the classic tomato sauce, which is one of the five so-called mother sauces of the culinary arts. You could instead use 1 quart of basic tomato pasta sauce, which is easier to make.
- 1 quart tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup onions (chopped)
- 3/4 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green pepper (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt (kosher to taste)
- Black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, sauté the onions, green pepper, celery and garlic until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, bay leaf, oregano, and lemon zest. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, season with the salt, pepper, and cayenne and serve right away.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|