This dish of black beans is amped up with spicy andouille sausage, a variety of herbs, some tomato sauce, and the classic "holy trinity" of Cajun and Creole cooking.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds spicy smoked sausage (cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups celery (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons leaf thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons leaf oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Brown sliced sausage in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Drain fat and transfer the sliced sausage to the crock pot.
- Combine remaining ingredients with sausage in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||33 g|