|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||27%|
|Total Carbohydrate 113g||41%|
|Dietary Fiber 33g||117%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This dish of black beans is amped up with spicy andouille sausage, a variety of herbs, some tomato sauce, and the classic "holy trinity" of Cajun and Creole cooking.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds spicy smoked sausage (cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 3 (15 ounces each) cans black beans (drained)
- 1 1/2 cups onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups celery (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons leaf thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons leaf oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
Gather the ingredients.
Brown the sliced sausage in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
Drain fat and transfer the sliced sausage to the crock pot.
Combine remaining ingredients with sausage in the crock pot.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
Remove bay leaves.
Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.