|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||27%|
|Total Carbohydrate 113g||41%|
|Dietary Fiber 33g||117%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This dish of black beans is amped up with spicy andouille sausage, a variety of herbs, some tomato sauce, and the classic "holy trinity" of Cajun and Creole cooking.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds spicy smoked sausage (cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups celery (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons leaf thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons leaf oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
Brown sliced sausage in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
Drain fat and transfer the sliced sausage to the crock pot.
Combine remaining ingredients with sausage in the crockpot.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
Remove bay leaves.
Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.