These are the best crispy fried wings ever. And what a nice surprise—they're easy to make, too. Unlike most deep fried ribs that we've tried, these are not just about the coat but are full flavor all the way through. The Thai marinade is what does it—a special concoction of coriander and garlic that is whipped up in just minutes. And there's no messy beaten eggs or other liquids to dip into—just marinate, then roll in flour. So easy, so wonderful! No wonder ribs are such a popular street food in Thailand.
- 1 to 2 pounds pork ribs (chopped into 2 to 3-inch segments)
- 7 to 8 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup cilantro (leaves and stems, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry (cooking sherry may be used)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 to 2 cups oil (for deep-frying; high-heat such as coconut or canola)
- Place garlic, coriander, fish sauce, and sherry in a mini chopper or food processor. Blitz to create an aromatic green marinade.
- Place prepared pork ribs in a mixing bowl. Add the marinade and toss well to mix Set in the refrigerator to marinate at least 20 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- In another bowl, combine the flour with the salt and pepper. Gently turn or "roll" the ribs in the flour mixture until well coated. Place on a clean plate, leaving on as much of the paste as possible for the greatest flavor.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat (it should be at least 1 inch deep). To test if oil is hot enough, dip one corner of a floured rib into the oil. If it begins to sizzle and cook immediately, the oil is ready.
- Carefully place the first batch of ribs in the oil, being sure not to disturb them for the first minute of frying. Reduce heat to medium, or just hot enough to keep ribs frying nicely.
- Using tongs to turn, fry the ribs 5 to 6 minutes each side, or until they turn a deep golden brown. To see if they are cooked, remove one from the oil and slice it open close to the bone, it should be white or very light pink inside.
- Remove from oil and drain on a clean tea towel or paper towel. Serve immediately with Thai sweet chili sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|