|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||31%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin C 2mg||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These crispy, crunchy chickpeas are super easy to make and are the perfect party or afternoon snack. All it takes are a can of chickpeas, a little olive oil, and some spices.
After they cool, store them in an airtight container for a few days. Just pop them back in the oven for a few minutes to crisp them back up. We prepared them in the oven, but you can also cook them in the air fryer. The secret to either method is to get the chickpeas very dry on the outside before cooking. This ensures that the chickpeas fry instead of steam.
2 (16-ounce) cans chickpeas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
Gather your ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Rinse and drain chickpeas and lay out to dry on a double layer of paper towel. Lay another paper towel over the drying chickpeas, then roll and rub them gently to dry them as much as possible. Remove any loose skins that come off of the beans. In a small bowl, combine the spices.
Toss the chickpeas with the olive oil in a large bowl.
Spread the chickpeas onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place them in the preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes. Shake the pan a few times while they are baking to help them crisp up.
Place them back in the oven and bake them for 10 minutes until they’re golden brown.
Combine the spices—salt, pepper, paprika, coriander, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper (if using). Then while they're still warm, toss the chickpeas with the spices, making sure to coat them evenly.
Allow them to cool for about an hour. They will continue to get crunchier as they cool. To re-crisp, heat in a 350 F oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
You can complete these chickpeas even quicker in the air fryer.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F. Place the coated chickpeas into the basket of the air fryer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Shake the basket, add the seasonings and cook for another 5 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- You can try other oils like canola, avocado, coconut. Any kind of oil that can withstand high heat will work well. Since there aren’t a lot of ingredients the oil flavor plays a big roll in the final flavor, so keep that in mind.
- Add a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper for more heat.
- Try a 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder.
- Add seasoned salt instead of regular salt
- Add a teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning.
- Add a teaspoon of curry powder.