- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1/4 cup or more for kneading
- 1 cup very warm water
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter (melted)
- Garnish: confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Combine 2 cups flour, water, oil and salt. Mix well and let stand 10 minutes. Knead in remaining 1/4 cup flour until smooth and elastic (this may take 10 minutes or more). Place in oiled bowl, cover and let rest 1/2 hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cover table with cloth and sprinkle lightly with flour. Turn dough out onto tablecloth. Roll with a rolling pin until you have a 13x9-inch rectangle. Brush top with melted butter and let rest 10 minutes. Work your way around the table, stretching dough as thinly as possible with the backs or palms of hands, whichever works best for you. Let the dough dry 10 minutes. Remove the thick edges.
- Brush or sprinkle melted butter on the entire surface of the dough. Place a 10-inch strip of filling of choice at one long edge of strudel dough. Brush filling and dough with melted butter. Fold dough in from sides, brush folded-in sides with melted butter and use the cloth to roll the dough away from you into a cylinder. Brush the exposed surface of the strudel each time you roll if desired, or just use the tablecloth to roll once.
- Cut strudels into 18-inch lengths, turning the ends under. Place on a greased baking sheet, brush tops of strudels with melted butter and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar when cool.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||98 g|
|Saturated Fat||59 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|