Yes, you can prepare tofu in your crockpot or slow cooker! Here's one way to make a full slow cooker tofu dish of tofu in a sticky-sweet homemade barbecue sauce.
Like most slow cooker recipes, this vegetarian crock pot barbecue tofu recipe is super easy. Just dump everything in the crock pot in the morning and you've got dinner when you come home at night! If you've got two extra minutes, chop up an onion and add it on in there.
To serve, you can make sloppy-joe-like hoagie sandwiches using any kind of bread. Try toasted French bread, or even just regular hamburger buns with lettuce, cheese and pickles if you'd like. Or, pair it with rice or whole grains and a vegetable side dish for a full meal. Keep it southern-themed by pairing it with vegan macaroni and cheese and collard greens or, for the perfect full meal, pair it with this easy recipe for collard greens and rice.
- 2 containers firm or extra firm tofu, pressed and chopped in to bite-sized or 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes (use a bit less if you're cooking for kids)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first. Why? Tofu is like a sponge - the more water you gently press out of it, the more of the delicious barbecue sauce flavors marinate it can soak up!
- Not sure how to press tofu? See this easy step-by-step guide: How to press tofu.
- Once your tofu is well-pressed, chop it into chunks, and combine your tofu with the remaining ingredients in a crock pot or slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
More Easy Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes:
- Vegetarian Crock Pot Chili
- Vegetable Minestrone Soup
- Easy Crock Pot Spanish Rice
- Vegetarian Baked Beans
- Tofu and Spinach Vegan Lasagna
- Indian Vegetable Curry
- Very Veggie Crock Pot Chili
- Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Split Pea Soup
- Crock Pot Lentil Soup
- Mexican Refried Beans
- Vegetarian Barley Chili
- Quick Crock Pot Apple Cobbler
- Sweet Pineapple Baked Beans
- Easy Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole
- Curried Rice and Lentils
- Crock Pot Rice Pudding