The slow cooker is an excellent way to cook a pot roast. This easy slow cooker barbecued beef recipe from Lori is cooked with a homemade barbecue sauce. Use a boneless lean chuck roast or similar pot roast cut in this recipe.
The beef is wonderful shredded and served in buns with coleslaw and extra sauce. Make this beef and take it to a party or tailgating event. Because it makes several servings and is nearly hands-free, it's an excellent dish to make for visiting family. If it's more than your family can eat, freeze the leftovers for another day.
Like pulled pork, shredded beef barbecue can be used in other dishes. Take a look at these creative uses for pulled pork to get some ideas.
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 pounds boneless chuck roast
- Optional: split sandwich buns
- Optional: coleslaw, creamy or vinegar based
Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke in a bowl. Stir in salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place chuck roast in slow cooker; pour the ketchup mixture over the chuck roast. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Remove roast from slow cooker and shred with a fork; return to slow cooker, stir, and continue cooking for about 1 hour longer.
Serve the shredded beef in sandwich buns with fries and slaw or serve it along with potato salad, coleslaw, and other corn on the cob.