This great tasting beef soup is made with lean ground beef, canned red beans, and optional rice. I added some shredded cabbage (actually slaw mix with some shredded carrot) to the soup pictured, along with the rice. The tomato juice or V-8 and beef broth flavor it nicely, along with a little garlic powder.
Feel free to add diced celery and shredded carrots along with the onion and bell pepper when you're browning the beef. It's a versatile soup, and can easily be made low carb by eliminating rice or pasta, and the beans. You could add extra ground beef and veggies to the mixture.
Cook the rice or pasta separately or use the convenient pre-cooked "Ready Rice."
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage, optional
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans or small red beans, undrained
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed beef broth*
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups tomato juice or V-8
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 to 1 cup of cooked rice or small pasta, such as ditalini or alphabet, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up with a spatula, for about 5 minutes. Add the chopped onions and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until the ground beef is no longer pink.
- Transfer the ground beef mixture to a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
- To the slow cooker add the corn, cabbage, if using, the diced tomatoes, beef broth, tomato juice or V-8, and garlic powder.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours. Add cooked rice or pasta about 5 to 10 minutes before serving time.
- Taste and add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
Serve the soup with crusty bread, crackers, or biscuits, or with a tossed salad or half sandwich.
* Use about 1 1/2 cups of homemade concentrated beef broth (double strength) in place of the condensed soup.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||16 g|