When it comes to making beef stew, the slow cooker shines. This slow cooker beef stew is flavored with tomatoes and red wine, along with herbs and vegetables. Feel free to tailor the stew ingredients to suit your tastes. The red wine adds a lot of flavor but beef stock may be used if you prefer.
- 3 pounds lean stew beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 12 small onions
- 6 carrots, halved crosswise then halved lengthwise
- 12 small potatoes or 6 medium potatoes, halved
- Sprinkle stew beef with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- In hot oil in large skillet, brown stew beef quickly on all sides.
- Add chopped onion and celery to the skillet. Cook until onion is tender and lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- In a large cup or small bowl, gradually add 1 cup of the cold water to the 3/4 cup flour, stirring until well blended and smooth. Add flour mixture to meat and vegetable mixture, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Transfer the meat and onion mixture to the slow cooker. Stir in 1/2 cup water, the wine, tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, small onions, carrots, and potatoes.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours, or cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Taste and season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Serve this beef stew with freshly baked biscuits or warm, crusty bread, or serve it over hot cooked noodles.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|