This crock pot black bean chili is made with the addition of pinto beans, great northern beans, or kidney beans. Tomatoes, cumin, and garlic add robust flavor, along with the chili powder and onions.
The chili takes just minutes to prepare with convenient canned beans. The dish is easy on the budget, too!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) pinto, garbanzo, great northern, or kidney beans, etc. (drained and rinsed)
- Garnish: grated cheese
- Garnish: sour cream
- Garnish: chopped parsley
- Garnish: chopped hard-cooked egg
- Garnish: green onion
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute, and then add the chili powder and cumin. Continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the onion mixture to the slow cooker along with all remaining ingredients except canned beans and garnishes. Stir well and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours. Stir in canned beans about an hour before serving.
Serve with your choice of the garnishes listed above.