This broccoli casserole is super easy to prepare and cook in the slow cooker. Broccoli is combined with condensed soup, cheese, and some simple seasonings. You might not think of the slow cooker for vegetables, but this is a tasty exception. If your slow cooker is particularly hot, cook the casserole on low or check the broccoli after about an hour.
Buttery cracker crumbs make up the tasty topping for this broccoli casserole. Feel free to add extra cheese to the top just before it's done.
Partially thaw the frozen broccoli under cold running water or steam for a minute or two in the microwave or on the stovetop in a few tablespoons of water.
- 2 (12 oz) packages frozen chopped broccoli (partially thawed and broken up, about 24 ounces total)
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of broccoli or cream of celery soup
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese (1 1/2 cups sharp, shredded)
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cracker crumbs (such as Townhouse or saltines)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped broccoli, condensed soup, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, chopped onion, Worcestershire sauce, and freshly ground black pepper. Pour the mixture into the greased slow cooker.
- In a bowl, toss the cracker crumbs with the melted butter; sprinkle over the broccoli mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours, or until the broccoli is tender.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese and cook 10 minutes longer, or just until the cheese has melted.
Serves 6 to 8.
- Use a combination of broccoli and cauliflower in the casserole.
- Replace the cracker crumbs with fine dry bread crumbs, ritz cracker crumbs, or mild cheese cracker crumbs.
- Add frozen, partially thawed sliced carrots to the broccoli mixture.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|