|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||54%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Broccoli is one of the most nutritious vegetables there is. Filled with fiber, vitamins, and protein (yes, 3 grams per 100-gram serving!) this cruciferous vegetable is a real star. It is easy to cook and delicious simply blanched and seasoned with salt, but our crockpot recipe takes it to a more indulgent and creamy level by adding condensed soup, cheese, and some simple seasonings.
A buttery cracker crumble makes up the tasty topping for this broccoli casserole, but extra cheese on top right before it's done is also a great addition to the dish. You might not think to use the slow cooker for vegetables, but broccoli holds its shape fairly well and the result is a marvelous side dish with all the beneficial nutrients and some added decadence. If your slow cooker is particularly hot, cook the casserole on low or check the broccoli after about an hour.
- 24 oz frozen broccoli (partially thawed, broken up)
- 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of broccoli (or cream of celery soup)
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cracker crumbs (such as Townhouse or saltines)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
Gather the ingredients.
Partially thaw the frozen broccoli under cold running water or steam for a minute or two in the microwave or on the stovetop in a few tablespoons of water.
Spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or grease it with butter or margarine.
In a large bowl, combine the chopped broccoli, condensed soup, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, chopped onion, Worcestershire sauce, and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well and pour the mixture into the greased slow cooker.
In a small bowl, toss the cracker crumbs with the melted butter and sprinkle over the broccoli mixture.
Cover the pot and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours, or until the broccoli is tender. Check 1 hour in the cooking process – if the sides are burning too fast, lower the temperature.
Around 10 minutes before the cooking time is over, sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese and cover to let the cheese melt. If needed, give it 5 to 7 more minutes.
Not Just Broccoli
If you have at hand those bags of frozen vegetable medleys instead of just broccoli, they can make a great casserole. Here are other ideas:
- Use a combination of broccoli and cauliflower in the casserole.
- Add frozen, partially thawed sliced carrots to the broccoli mixture.
- Replace the cracker crumbs with fine dry bread crumbs, Ritz cracker crumbs, or mild cheese cracker crumbs.
- Add 1 cup of frozen, partially thawed peas and carrots to the broccoli mixture.
- Add 1 cup of peeled and cubed potatoes to the broccoli mixture.