|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 10 to 12|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||19%|
|Total Sugars 17g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These hearty and flavorful beans make a fabulous dish to serve at a barbecue. You can even take them along to a party or potluck, right in the slow cooker. This is a great dish to accompany pulled pork or pulled chicken.
The canned baked beans are an important component of this dish because of the flavor they add, but you can change up the other types of canned beans. See the tips for some substitution ideas.
Click Play to See This Slow Cooker Calico Beans Recipe Come Together
8 ounces bacon, about 10 to 12 slices
1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (85 percent or better)
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 (15-ounce) cans baked beans
1 can lima beans, or butter beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup ketchup, or barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar, or white vinegar
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Gather the ingredients.
In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook the bacon until just crisp. You can either cook the bacon whole or cut the bacon into chunks before cooking. Once crisp, remove the bacon to paper towels to drain. Leave about 2 teaspoons of bacon drippings in the skillet and discard the remaining drippings.
Place the skillet back over medium heat and add the ground beef and chopped onion. Cook until the beef is no longer pink, stirring and breaking up larger chunks. With a slotted spoon or spatula, transfer the ground beef to the crockery insert of the slow cooker.
Add the bacon, brown sugar, dry mustard, baked beans, lima beans, kidney beans, ketchup or barbecue sauce, and vinegar. Taste and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Cover and cook on low for 3 to 5 hours.
- There are two great ways to cook bacon: baked or fried. For baked bacon, heat the oven to 375 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Arrange the bacon in the pan and bake for 22 to 26 minutes, or until crisp.
- For fried bacon, lay the bacon strips in a pan and place over medium-low heat. When you notice the bacon is curling slightly, turn it over. Continue cooking, turning occasionally, until browned. Depending on the amount of bacon you are cooking, you might have to fry it in batches. Remove the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- If you have baked beans but don't have kidney beans or lima beans in your pantry, use pinto beans, Great Northern beans, black beans, or navy beans. Even canned black-eyed peas would work in this dish.
- Use part ground pork or sausage, along with the ground beef.
- Add 1/2 cup of diced green bell pepper or a combination of red and green bell peppers to the skillet with the onions and ground beef.