This crock pot broccoli and cauliflower combination is slow cooked to perfection with simple cheddar cheese sauce. Top it off with extra shredded cheddar cheese. For a freshly baked look with a crunchy topping, pour the cooked vegetable and cheese mixture into a lightly greased casserole and top it with buttered bread crumbs. Broil just until the topping is browned.
Feel free to make it with all broccoli or cauliflower instead of the combination. The cooked bacon adds some nice flavor, but feel free to leave it out for a vegetarian version.
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 (10 oz) pkg frozen cauliflower (thawed)
- 1 (10 oz) pkg frozen broccoli (thawed)
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- Kosher salt and pepper (to taste)
- Optional: 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon until crisp; drain well on paper towels then crumble.
- Place broccoli and cauliflower in the crock pot. Spoon soup over vegetables; sprinkle with the crumbled bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for about 3 to 4 hours.
- About 20 minutes before the dish is done, top with cheddar cheese.
Tips and Variations
- When the dish has finished cooking, transfer the mixture to a casserole dish and top with fine bread crumbs or about 1 cup of soft bread crumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons of butter. Put the casserole under the broiler just until browned.
- Add 1 cup of frozen sliced carrots to the dish for additional flavor and color.
- Add diced red bell pepper to the crock pot along with the frozen vegetables.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped onion to the dish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|