|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||11%|
|Total Carbohydrate 6g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 1g|
|Vitamin C 30mg||151%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This slow cooker broccoli and cauliflower combination is slow cooked to perfection with simple cheddar cheese sauce. Top it off with extra shredded cheddar cheese for an extra indulgent dish. For a freshly baked look with a crunchy topping, pour the cooked vegetable and cheese mixture into a lightly greased casserole and top it with buttered breadcrumbs. Broil just until the topping is browned.
4 strips bacon
1 (10-ounce) package frozen cauliflower, thawed
1 (10-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed
1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
Cook or bake bacon until crisp; drain well on paper towels then crumble.
Place broccoli and cauliflower in the slow cooker. Spoon the soup over the vegetables and sprinkle with the crumbled bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on low for about 3 to 4 hours.
About 20 minutes before the dish is done, top with cheddar cheese.
Glass Bakeware Warning
Do not use glass bakeware when broiling or when a recipe calls to add liquid to a hot pan, as glass may explode. Even if it states oven safe or heat resistant, tempered glass products can, and do, break occasionally.
- When the dish has finished cooking, transfer the mixture to a casserole dish and top with fine breadcrumbs or about 1 cup of soft breadcrumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons of butter. Put the casserole under the broiler just until browned.
- Use block cheddar cheese instead of pre-shredded cheese. Cheese that has been grated already has potato starch (or a similar ingredient) added, which doesn't melt as well.
- Add 1 cup of frozen sliced carrots to the dish for additional flavor and color.
- Add diced red bell pepper to the crock pot along with the frozen vegetables.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped onion to the dish.
- Make the dish with all broccoli or cauliflower instead of the combination.
- The cooked bacon adds some nice flavor, but you can leave it out for a vegetarian version.
- Southwestern cheesy broccoli and cauliflower: Follow the recipe as directed. Add a 4-ounce can of diced green chiles, 14 ounces of canned corn, and a half-packet of low-sodium taco seasoning. Stir thoroughly to combine and cook on low for 3 hours before serving.
- Parmesan slow cooker broccoli and cauliflower: In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the broccoli and cauliflower with 1/4 cup butter, 1 tablespoon chopped garlic, 1 cup shredded Parmesan, 1 cup chicken broth, and salt and pepper. Cook on low for 3 hours before serving.
- Slow cooker broccoli and cauliflower soup: Add 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock and 1/2 cup half-and-half. Cook on low for 4 hours, and then mash the vegetables slightly in the broth before serving. Top with extra cheddar cheese.
- Stovetop variation: Steam the broccoli and cauliflower with a 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepot over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients. Stir thoroughly to combine and serve.
- Slow cooker cheesy broccoli and cauliflower with rice: Add 1 cup of uncooked white rice and 4 cups chicken broth to the slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on low.