Chicken is slow cooked with smoked sausage, beans, carrots, onions, and more. Feel free to make this tasty chicken dish with andouille sausage or a chicken sausage instead of kielbasa.
This is a hearty, satisfying dish with plenty of great flavors. Serve the dish with rice, if desired.
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (crushed)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (15 oz.) cans navy beans (drained)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 lb. fully cooked Polish sausage or other smoked sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- In a small saucepan, bring the sliced carrots, onions, and broth or water to a boil. cover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to 3 1/2 to 4-quart crock pot.
- In a bowl, combine the tomato paste with the wine, garlic powder, thyme, cloves, and the bay leaf, if using; add beans and stir to blend. Add the bean mixture to the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the seasoned bean mixture. Place sausage pieces on top of the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Before serving, remove the bay leaf.
- Serve as a stew with crusty bread or cornbread or serve it over hot cooked rice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||56 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||30 g|