This chicken chili is made with dried great northern beans, chicken breasts, and vegetables. Zucchini or summer squash make this an excellent chili to make for a summer meal.
Feel free to use boneless chicken thighs in the recipe or a combination of chicken thighs and chicken breasts.
- 2 cups great northern dried beans (soaked overnight)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 to 3 canned jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 small zucchini or summer squash (cubed)
- 1 can (12 to 15 ounces) whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, and some for garnish
- Garnish: 1 tomato (chopped) or cherry tomatoes (halved)
- Garnish: sour cream or shredded cheese
Combine the beans and boiling water in slow cooker. Let stand while preparing other ingredients. Add chopped onion, minced garlic, jalapeno pepper, cumin and chili powder to the crock pot.
Place the chicken on top of the beans and seasonings and add the cubed summer squash to the pot. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 to 8 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in corn, sour cream, salt, lime juice and chopped cilantro.
Spoon the chili into bowls. Garnish with a spoonful of sour cream or some shredded cheese along with chopped tomato and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
You Might Also Like