This chicken chili is made with dried great northern beans, chicken breasts, and vegetables. Zucchini or summer squash make this an excellent chili to make for a summer meal.
Feel free to use boneless chicken thighs in the recipe or a combination of chicken thighs and chicken breasts.
- 2 cups great northern dried beans (soaked overnight)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 to 3 canned jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 small zucchini or summer squash (cubed)
- 1 can (12 to 15 ounces) whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, and some for garnish
- Garnish: 1 tomato (chopped) or cherry tomatoes (halved)
- Garnish: sour cream or shredded cheese
- Gather the ingredients.
- Combine the beans and boiling water in slow cooker. Let stand while preparing other ingredients. Add chopped onion, minced garlic, jalapeno pepper, cumin and chili powder to the crock pot.
- Place the chicken on top of the beans and seasonings and add the cubed summer squash to the pot. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 to 8 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in corn, sour cream, salt, lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- Spoon the chili into bowls. Garnish with a spoonful of sour cream or some shredded cheese along with chopped tomato and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
You Might Also Like