|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 32g||41%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||44%|
|Total Carbohydrate 21g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Chicken and noodles are a magical combination that reminds us of home. Great for cold days, or for days when you need and an extra kick of energy, our soup has nothing to envy in traditionally made noodle soups, plus you don't need to stir or watch over the pot.
Quickly prepared, this soup cooks in the crockpot to a delicious and complete dinner. Chicken, onions, carrots, celery, noodles, fresh herbs, and chicken broth are all it takes to serve a bowl of this homey and comforting meal.
Try our creamy semi-homemade version, cooked in the slow cooker as well – it includes condensed soups and leftover chicken or diced rotisserie chicken.
- 3 pounds chicken pieces
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth (low-sodium or unsalted)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (peeled, chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (cleaned, chopped)
- Optional: 1 clove garlic (pressed, or 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder)
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 to 6 ounces egg noodles (medium, 2 to 3 cups)
Gather the ingredients.
Place all ingredients except the noodles in the crockpot.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
Once the cooking time is done, remove the chicken and bay leaf from pot. Remove the meat from the bones, dice it, and return the pieces to the crockpot.
Add the noodles and cook on LOW for another 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until noodles are done – about 20 to 30 minutes on HIGH.
Alternatively, you may cook the noodles separately and add them just before serving. This way, you can be sure they are perfectly cooked to suit your taste.
Spoon the soup in a bowl, garnish with some additional parsley, and enjoy!
Brown the Chicken First
For an extra layer of flavor, brown your chicken before adding it to the crockpot:
- Pat dry the chicken with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Add all of the ingredients into the pan but the chicken, onions, and noodles.
- In a medium-sized pan heat a few tablespoons of olive oil and cook the chopped onion until transparent and fragrant.
- Add the chicken pieces skin side down and brown it for four minutes on each side.
- Add 1 cup of the chicken broth to the pan and scrape off the bottom. By deglazing the pan with the liquid you get all the flavors into your soup.
- Add the chicken, onions, and broth into the crockpot with the rest of the ingredients and cook on LOW for 3.5 hours.
- Add the noodles and cook for another hour, or cook the noodles separately before serving the soup.