|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 25g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||62%|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy and great-tasting clam chowder cooks in the crockpot in just 4 hours. Made with potatoes, milk, bacon (or salt pork), and canned minced clams, our thick and creamy recipe is satisfying and full of flavor. Clams are a great source of protein at a relatively low caloric cost, as 100 g has 150 calories but 25 grams of protein (one egg has 6 grams), plus several vitamins and minerals.
We use bottled clam juice as the cooking liquid, but water or chicken stock may be used instead. If you use salted or low-sodium chicken broth, go easy on the salt, taste halfway and once the chowder is done add more if needed.
This creamy soup is a great lunch or dinner on a cold day, and because it's made in the crockpot, it can be transported easily to potlucks. Serve with oyster crackers, saltines, or French bread.
- 6 ounces salt pork (or bacon, diced)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 (6 1/2-ounce) cans minced clams (with juice)
- 6 to 8 medium potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 3 cups water (low-sodium chicken broth or clam juice)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups half and half cream (or whole milk, divided)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
Gather the ingredients.
If necessary, chop or slice the clams into bite-sized pieces.
In a skillet, fry the ham or diced bacon and onion until golden brown. Drain and set aside. Alternately, if you have a crockpot that has a sauté feature, fry the bacon right in the crockpot, then drain some of the fat.
Add the pork or bacon and onion to the slow cooker; add the clams and mix well.
Add the cubed potatoes and the water, low-sodium chicken broth, or clam juice. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the freshly ground black pepper.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
As the crockpot mixture completes 3 hours of cooking, combine 1 cup of milk or half-and-half with the cornstarch.
Add the cornstarch mixture and the remaining 3 cups of milk or half-and-half to the slow cooker and stir to blend. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt, if needed. Let the dairy mixture heat up.
Top each bowl of chowder with a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley.
Variations and Substitutions
You can add one or more of the following ingredients or use one of our suggested substitutions for different and equally delicious clam chowders:
- For extra crunch and texture add 1/2 cup of chopped celery to the skillet along with the onions.
- Add a teaspoon of chopped fresh garlic when the onions and bacon are browned and cook for about 1 more minute.
- Use diced lean ham instead of pork or bacon to cut down on calories and sodium.
- For a richer chowder, use only half-and-half instead of milk.
- Fry a few extra strips of bacon, refrigerate while the chowder cooks, and crumble them when cold so you can use them as a garnish to top the finished chowder.
- Use sliced green onion tops, shredded mild cheese, or chopped chives to garnish each serving.