|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 54g||69%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||76%|
|Total Carbohydrate 42g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||34%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is an easy, no-fuss slow cooker chicken recipe made with your choice of chicken parts and only 3 additional ingredients (plus salt and pepper). Use a cut-up whole chicken, chicken leg quarters, or a combination of thighs and drumsticks. The chicken may be served as an entree, or it can be removed from the bones and shredded for sandwiches. Serve the shredded chicken on buns with some of the sauce.
If you use very large pieces, like chicken halves, cook them on high for 1 hour and then turn the setting to low and continue cooking for about 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours longer. The 1-hour higher temperature start will ensure the chicken gets up to a safe temperature quickly.
There are a few notable flavor variations you might want to try. Instead of ketchup, use your favorite purchased or homemade barbecue sauce. Or add a teaspoon or two of liquid smoke and 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce to get that barbecue flavor. Or kick it up with 1/2 teaspoon (or more) of crushed red pepper flakes for heat. Strips of red and/or green bell pepper may be added for flavor and color. Layer the pepper strips along with the sliced onions.
Serve the chicken with potato salad or baked potatoes and steamed vegetables for a satisfying family meal. If you're making sandwiches with the shredded chicken and sauce, serve them with baked beans and coleslaw.
- 1 large onion
- 3 to 4 pounds chicken parts
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup cola (or Dr. Pepper)
Cut the ends off the onion, peel it, and then cut it in half lengthwise. Slice the halves thinly.
Place half of the sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker crockery insert.
Place the chicken pieces on the onion layer. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Top the chicken with the remaining sliced onions.
In a small bowl or 2-cup measure, combine the ketchup and cola or Dr. Pepper. Mix to blend thoroughly.
Pour the cola and ketchup mixture over the chicken pieces in the slow cooker.
Cover the pot and cook on low for 4 1/2 to 7 hours, or until the chicken is fully cooked but not yet falling apart. If you want it shreddable, go for the longer time. The minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F (73.9 C). If in doubt, check for doneness with an instant-read food thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken (not touching bone).
Serve whole pieces and the onions on a platter with the sauce or shred the chicken and serve with the sauce on buns.
- To give the chicken some color and crisp the skin a bit, place the pieces on a foil-lined baking pan and put it under the broiler—about 4 inches from the heat source—for about 2 to 5 minutes, or until browned.
- To thicken the sauce and concentrate flavors, remove the chicken to a plate and keep it warm. Skim the fat off the liquids and strain them into a saucepan. Bring the defatted liquids to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to boil them for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the sauce is reduced to about 1 1/4 cups.
- For an attractive presentation, sprinkle chopped fresh parsley or cilantro over the chicken.