|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 to 10|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 29g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||59%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||20%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is an easy way to make your St. Patrick's Day corned-beef dinner, and it makes a fabulous Sunday dinner as well. Make the horseradish sauce and chill it for least an hour or two for best flavor. If you don't care for horseradish, feel free to omit it.
- For the Horseradish Sauce:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons horseradish (well-drained prepared)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar (or to taste)
- For the Corned Beef Dinner:
- 1 (4-pound) corned beef brisket
- Water (to cover)
- 1 cup small white onions (peeled, or use frozen)
- 1 onion (peeled)
- 6 cloves
- 2 medium bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 parsnips (peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 3-inch length)
- 6 to 8 medium carrots (peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch lengths)
- 1 small rutabaga (peeled cut in chunks)
- 6 medium red potatoes (peeled and quartered; or small whole new potatoes)
- 3 stalks celery (cut into 3-inch lengths)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, this corned beef dish is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and cooking.
Make the Horseradish Sauce
If making horseradish sauce, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, drained horseradish, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, or to taste, in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
Make the Corned Beef
If corned beef is too large to fit in your crockpot, cut in half, thirds, or quarters.
Place the corned beef in the slow cooker and cover with water. Add the small white onions and the large onion with cloves stuck in it, the bay leaves, thyme, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Arrange the parsnips, carrots, rutabaga, potatoes and carrots around the corned beef.
Cover and cook on LOW for 9 to 11 hours, or until the corned beef and vegetables are tender.
Drain well and then transfer beef to serving platter with the vegetables arranged around the edges. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
Serve with the horseradish sauce, if using.
- Corned Beef Dinner With Boiled Cabbage Wedges: Cut a small head of cabbage into six wedges and place the wedges in a Dutch oven with about 1/2 inch of water. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cover the pan and simmer the cabbage wedges in the water for about 10 minutes. Turn them and simmer them for about 8 minutes longer, or until the cabbage is tender. Drain and drizzle with melted butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste.