Slow cooked country style pork ribs with mushrooms and gravy mix makes for an easy, no-fuss dinner. Boneless country-style pork ribs are an excellent choice for the slow cooker.
If the liquids are thin when the dish is done, thicken the gravy with the optional flour and water mixture. I cooked the pork (pictured) on high for about 3 1/2 hours and I did not have to thicken the gravy.
- 2 pounds country-style ribs, boneless
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 to 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 envelope (just under 1 ounce) mushroom or brown gravy mix
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons cold water blended with 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour to thicken gravy, optional*
- Lightly sprinkle the country-style ribs with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Arrange the pork pieces in the slow cooker crockery insert. Add the mushrooms.
- In a medium bowl combine the condensed soup and gravy mix. Pour the mixture over the pork and then sprinkle with the paprika.
- Cover and cook on the LOW setting for 7 to 9 hours, or on HIGH for about 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the pork to a serving plate and keep warm.
- To thicken the gravy, stir flour mixture into broth and turn the cooker to the HIGH heat setting Continue cooking for about 15 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve the ribs with potatoes and steamed vegetables or a salad.
*If you cook the pork on the high setting, the gravy might not need extra thickening.
Tips and Variations
- Use boneless pork chops in the recipe or use stewing cubes or pork butt. Shoulder chops would work especially well in the slow cooker.
- Saute the mushrooms in 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter before adding them to the soup mixture, or use canned drained mushrooms in the dish.
- Brown the ribs before adding them to the slow cooker. Browning isn't necessary, but it does add some flavor and color to the pork. Sear in a skillet over medium-high heat in a small amount of vegetable oil for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Omit the mushrooms and use cream of celery soup in the dish.
- Add 1/2 cup of sliced onions to the slow cooker. Place the ribs on the onions.
You Might Also Like