|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 12 to 16|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||46%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is an easy and popular crock pot hamburger dip made with ground beef, cream cheese, and grated or shredded cheese, along with garlic, peppers, and tomato sauce. It's an excellent dip to make for a party, game day gathering, or tailgating event.
The pictured dip included Monterey Jack cheese instead of the Parmesan cheese. And some extra chopped jalapeño peppers and cayenne pepper spiced it up nicely. Bell peppers make an excellent addition to this dip as well. See the variations for more substitutions and add-in ideas, or tailor it to suit your tastes.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- Optional: 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild chile peppers (chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder (mild to medium heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 16 ounces cream cheese (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or another type of shredded cheese)
Heat the olive oil In a heavy skillet over medium heat. Crumble the ground beef into the skillet along with the onion and jalapeno pepper, if using. Cook until the onion is translucent and the beef is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Drain off fat.
Transfer the drained browned meat mixture to the crockery insert of the crock pot. Add the garlic, mild chile peppers, chili powder, ground cumin, salt, black pepper, tomato sauce, ketchup, oregano, sugar, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese (or another type of cheese).
Cover the crock pot and cook on low for about 2 hours, or until cream cheese has melted and is thoroughly blended.
Stir, taste, and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
Serve the dip hot, directly from the crockpot, or move to a chafing dish. Offer tortilla chips, crackers, or vegetables for dipping.
- Serve the dip hot from the slow cooker with tortilla chips, corn chips, carrot and celery sticks, or an assortment of crackers.
- Use the dip as a nacho topping. Pour some over a mound of tortilla chips and garnish with sliced jalapeño pepper rings.
- It's a good dip to offer as a topping for baked potatoes. A baked potato bar with various toppings and fixings is an excellent game day food idea.
- Use a combination of ground beef and ground spicy sausage in the dip. Brown with the onion and jalapeño peppers and drain well. Add to the slow cooker with the remaining ingredients.
- Replace the ketchup with chili sauce (found in the ketchup section, not Asian-style).
- Replace part or all of the cream cheese with Velveeta process cheese product.
- Instead of Parmesan cheese, use a sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a shredded Mexican blend.
- For more heat, add 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or extra chopped jalapeño peppers. Pepper jack cheese may be added as well.
- For less heat, omit the jalapeño pepper or replace it with sweet red or green bell pepper.
- Replace one can of tomato sauce with 1 cup of chunky salsa.