This chicken and wild rice combination is cooked in the slow cooker. Crumbled bacon and mushrooms, along with dried herbs, add flavor to the dish.
Rice can become mushy when overcooked, so check it frequently. Or, prepare the rice as directed on the package and omit the water in the recipe — see the tips and variations below.
One reader mentioned
- 2 to 3 slices bacon (crumbled) or 2 tablespoons real bacon bits
- 1 to 1 1/2 pound chicken tenders or boneless chicken breast halves
- 6 to 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, as needed
- 1 (6 oz.) box Uncle Ben's (chicken flavor) long grain and wild rice
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (with herbs or plain)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon herb mixture, such as parsley, thyme, and tarragon
Butter the inside of a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker or use a cooking bag.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy; remove to paper towels to drain.
Add the chicken pieces to the skillet along with the sliced mushrooms. Add a small amount of oil if there aren't enough drippings in the skillet. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and the chicken is browned. Slice the chicken breasts into strips or cubes.
Crumble the bacon and place it in the bottom of the prepared slow cooker.
Reserve the packet of seasonings in the long grain and wild rice and put the rice in the slow cooker.
Place the chicken strips or cubes and mushrooms over the rice. Pour the soup over the chicken and then add the water. Top with the seasonings from the reserved seasoning packet and sprinkle with the herb mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked and the rice is tender but not mushy.
Tips and Variations
- Cook the rice separately as directed on the package. Layer in the slow cooker the bacon, chicken and mushrooms; add the cream of chicken soup and herb mixture. Add the rice to the slow cooker just before it's done or serve the chicken and mushrooms with sauce over the hot cooked rice mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup of sliced green onions or minced onions to the soup mixture.
- Saute 1/2 cup of thinly sliced celery along with the mushrooms and chicken.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|