This slow cooker chicken dish takes about 10 minutes to put together. Layer the ingredients, set the slow cooker on low, and forget it for 5 to 7 hours! This is a flavorful meal with chicken, cheese, and potatoes -- add a steamed vegetable or some garden fresh sliced tomatoes, and you have a complete dinner!
Italian salad dressing and seasonings flavor the chicken and potatoes along with Parmesan cheese. I used a light Italian dressing, and the results were delicious.
If your chicken breasts are small or you are using thin cutlets or tenders, cut the potatoes smaller and check for doneness at about 5 hours. Chicken breasts are lean and will be dry if overcooked.
See the tips and variations for some simple substitutions and add-in ideas.
- 4 to 6 medium potatoes, red or other waxy potatoes
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- dash crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into thin wedges, 1-inch cubes, or thick slices (about 1/2- to 1-inch).
- Spray the interior of the slow cooker with nonstick butter-flavored or olive oil cooking spray.
- Place the diced or sliced potatoes in the bottom of the prepared Crock Pot.
- In a 2-cup measuring cup or small bowl, combine the Italian salad dressing, chicken broth, garlic powder, basil, oregano, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with half of the dressing and herb mixture and then half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange the chicken over the potato layer. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and her mixture and then sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 5 to 7 hours, or until the chicken is done and the potatoes are tender.
- Serve the chicken and potatoes with steamed broccoli, creamed spinach, or your family's favorite side vegetables. Or serve with fresh sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.
Tips and Variations
- Add about 1 cup of sliced onion to the slow cooker along with the potatoes.
- Add baby carrots or carrot slices to the slow cooker with the potatoes.
- Replace the basil and oregano with an Italian seasoning blend.
- Replace the 1 teaspoon of garlic powder with 2 cloves of garlic, pressed or finely minced.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||86 g|
|Saturated Fat||23 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||32 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|