This Italian style chicken recipe is a well-seasoned combination of meat, tomatoes, shredded carrot, peppers, and seasonings. Garlic adds flavor along with the dried herbs and a bay leaf. The sauce mixture is cooked to perfection in a slow cooker.
Feel free to change or substitute some ingredients to suit your family's tastes. Add some sliced zucchini to the sauce along with the carrots.
Serve the chicken with linguine or spaghetti and pass the Parmesan cheese.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) tomatoes (diced)
- 1 large green sweet pepper (diced)
- 1 small cooking onion (diced)
- 1 medium rib of celery (diced)
- 1 medium carrot (peeled and shredded or diced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped; OR 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
In the slow cooker, combine all ingredients except the grated cheese.
Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours. Remove the bay leaf and sprinkle with grated cheese before serving. Or pass the Parmesan or Romano cheese at the table.
This dish is excellent with linguine or spaghetti or serve the chicken with hot cooked rice.
Use a 16-ounce jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce in place of or in addition to the diced tomatoes.
Add some sliced ripe olives to the sauce.