This is an all-meat, no-bean chili that is a snap to fix and cook in a crock pot. The fact that the recipe is a simple, no-frills combination lends it to all kinds of possible variations. Add some chopped onions and bell pepper to the skillet along with ground beef, or add some chile peppers or extra cayenne.
You can use coarse or regular ground beef, stewing beef, or a mixture of ground beef and ground pork or bulk sausage. The stewed tomatoes add texture and flavor, but crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted, or chili-seasoned tomatoes would be excellent choices as well. See the variations section below the recipe for some serving and garnishing ideas and suggestions for additional ingredients.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (or cubed lean stewing beef)
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounces) can tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can stewed tomatoes, optional
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or cayenne, to taste)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, stirring to break it up.
- When the meat is no longer pink, drain it and spoon it into the slow cooker.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, if using, and the chili powder.
- Mix well and add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
- Add hot sauce, such as Texas Pete's or Tabasco, if desired.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
Tips and Variations:
- Top with shredded mozzarella, cheddar or a Mexican-style cheese.
- If you like beans in your chili, add a can of drained pinto beans, black beans, or kidney beans about an hour before the chili is done.
- Make your own homemade chili powder. Combine 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of ground cumin, 2 teaspoons of sweet paprika, and 1 teaspoon each of cayenne pepper and dried leaf oregano (reduce the cayenne if you prefer a mild chili).
- Add 1 cup of chopped onions and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped bell pepper to the skillet with the ground beef. Add 1 or 2 minced cloves of garlic if you'd like.
- For a little extra flavor and sweetness, add 1 carrot, either finely chopped, shredded, or julienned.
- If you like heat from chile peppers, add a few tablespoons of minced jalapeno peppers to the crock pot.
- For chile pepper flavor with less heat, add a 4-ounce can of mild chopped green chile.
- Garnish with thinly sliced green onions, crumbled cornbread, oyster crackers, chopped fresh onions, guacamole, chopped cilantro, or diced fresh tomatoes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|