|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 55g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||28%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These slow cooker glazed carrots are flavored with a fabulous sweet and aromatic combination of cinnamon, fresh orange zest and juice, and brown sugar. The pictured carrot dish was made with purple carrots, which is why they look more like beets in the photo and the sauce is darker than it would be with orange carrots. The flavor, however, was excellent -- very much like orange carrots.
The carrots make an amazing side dish with ham, turkey, or a pork roast. The recipe makes enough for 4, but it is easily multiplied for a large holiday meal or potluck dinner.
- 1 pound carrots (about 2 cups sliced)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Gather the ingredients.
- Peel the carrots and rinse them under cold running water. Cut off the ends and slice them into rounds about 1/4-inch thick. Put the sliced carrots in the crockery insert of a slow cooker.
- Add the brown sugar to the slow cooker along with the orange zest and juice, the butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.
- Cover the pot and cook on low for about 3 to 4 hours, or until the carrots are tender. Or cook them on high for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Add the cornstarch and water mixture to the slow cooker and turn it to high. Cook the carrots for about 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the sauce has thickened and is clear.
- Transfer the carrots and sauce to a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.