|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This crock pot oxtail stew is brimming with flavor, with a tasty broth mixture, potatoes, carrots, and a variety of herbs and seasonings.
The combination of red wine, beef broth, and tomato sauce make for a savory and flavorful oxtail stew.
Related: Top 25 Beef Stew Recipes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 lbs. oxtails (disjointed)
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 potatoes (cut in chunks)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 6 peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 dried red chile pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; brown the oxtails on all sides.
Reduce the heat to medium; add the onions and cook for 5 minutes longer.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
Sprinkle the flour over the meat and vegetables and stir to blend. Cook for 2 minutes longer.
Put potatoes in bottom of the crock pot along with carrots.
Add the oxtail mixture.
Deglaze the pan with the red wine and pour over the oxtails in the slow cooker.
Add the beef broth to the slow cooker along with the tomato sauce, peppercorns, oregano, chile pepper, cloves, bell pepper, and parsley. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Cover and cook on low for 9 to 11 hours, or until the oxtails are very tender.
Serve and enjoy!