This easy oyster stew recipe is made with fresh oysters, milk, butter, and seasonings. Serve with crackers and a tossed salad for a satisfying meal.
To thicken the stew slightly, an optional flour and water slurry may be added to the stew before it's finished.
Green onions or chives may be added to the stew for extra flavor and color. See the tips and variations for more.
- Pour milk into crockpot; heat on HIGH for 1 1/2 hours.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter; add oysters with their liquid. Simmer on low until edges of oysters curl. Add the salt, a dash of cayenne pepper, and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the oyster mixture to the hot milk. Reduce the heat to LOW and continue cooking for about 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- If desired, combine the optional 2 tablespoons of flour with 3 tablespoons of water. Stir until smooth and add to the crockpot. Continue cooking until slightly thickened.
Tips and Variations
- Before you simmer the oysters, add about 1/2 cup of chopped green onions to the butter in the saucepan and saute until translucent. Add the oysters and liquid and continue with the recipe.
- Use 1 quart of half-and-half along with 1 quart of whole milk for a richer stew.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|