|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||60%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Vitamin C 2mg||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
For a quick and easy crowd-pleasing dip, this classic Ro-Tel dip will do the trick. Ro-Tel is a brand of canned diced tomatoes with chiles that's become famous as a base for a creamy appetizer. If you don't have a can handy, you can always use your favorite chunky salsa.
Using the cheese product Velveeta ensures that this dip will be decadently creamy and won't turn into a hard mass of "cheese" as your gathering progresses. Browned ground beef adds meaty deliciousness, and you can add optional mix-ins like extra green chile peppers or mushrooms. If you're vegetarian, you can swap the beef for drained pinto or black beans.
This easy, cheesy dip is a casual party and game-day favorite, and it is super easy to fix in the slow cooker. After half an hour in the crock pot, switch the cooker to low and use it to keep the dip perfectly warm and at a creamy consistency. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers for dipping and watch it disappear in a flash—it's like a creamy, gooey nacho dip.
Click Play to See This Recipe Come Together
Gather the ingredients.
Melt the Velveeta along with the tomatoes with green chiles in the slow cooker on high.
Meanwhile, brown the chopped onion and ground beef in a skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and chile peppers, if using.
Drain off the excess grease. Add the meat mixture to the slow cooker cheese mixture and cook on high for about 30 minutes.
Turn to low and serve the dip from the slow cooker with tortilla chips or crackers.
- For vegetarians, omit the ground beef or use substitute vegetarian crumbles or drained pinto or black beans.
- For an extra-flavorful dip, replace the ground beef with cooked and crumbled Mexican chorizo (or Soyrizo for vegetarians).
- For a spicier dip, use more chiles or add some of your favorite hot sauce.
- A mild salsa or diced tomatoes (minus the chiles) can be used for an extremely mild dip.
- If the dip isn't as thick as you'd like, cook it for another 20 or 30 minutes on high.
- You can keep it warm on the low setting for up to a few hours until it's time to serve. Stir every 30 minutes or so to keep a skin from forming on top.
How to Store Crock Pot Ro-Tel Dip
Any leftover Ro-Tel dip can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat to serve.