|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 35g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 19g||97%|
|Total Carbohydrate 61g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||22%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Our slow cooker scalloped potatoes are easy to make and with just a few other ingredients you'll serve a wonderful and creamy side dish, great for beef or pork roast.
Weeknight dinner time can get hectic, but you can serve these potatoes without taking up stovetop or oven space. Amazing for a more elegant dinner party, you can forget about the potatoes while they cook and concentrate on other recipes that require your full attention. If you have a larger party, double or triple the amounts.
Garnish the finished potatoes with some extra shredded cheddar cheese or finely chopped fresh parsley or chives. See our tips below on how to finish the dish in the casserole with a breadcrumb topping. If you have guests who can't have dairy, reserve a serving or two of potatoes and bake in the toaster oven with vegan margarine and vegan cheese.
- 5 medium potatoes (approximately 1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk (room temperature)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- Optional: Fresh chopped parsley or chives
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Generously butter the bottom and sides of the slow cooker crockery insert.
Wash and peel the potatoes and slice them into 1/4-inch rounds. Alternatively, cut them into 1/4-inch diced pieces. Place the potatoes in the buttered crockpot.
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
Once the butter has melted, add the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, constantly stirring, for two minutes.
Gradually whisk in the milk. Simmer, constantly stirring until the mixture is bubbly and has thickened.
Add the shredded cheese and continue cooking, stirring, until the cheese has melted.
Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes in the crockpot.
Cover the pot and cook the potatoes on LOW for 5 to 7 hours, stirring once or twice during the cooking time to keep the potatoes coated and moisten with the cheese sauce. If desired, sprinkle extra cheese over the top of the potatoes and continue cooking just until it has melted.
Transfer the potatoes and sauce to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped parsley or chives, if desired.
Make it a Casserole
For a freshly baked au gratin look:
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Transfer the cooked potato mixture to a buttered baking dish.
- Combine 1 cup of soft fresh breadcrumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the potatoes and bake in the preheated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until browned.
Different Flavor Profiles
There are many things you could do to add other flavors to the recipe. Here are a few suggestions:
- For light garlic flavor, rub a peeled and sliced clove of garlic over the sides and bottom of the cooker before you butter the inside.
- For a mild onion flavor, sauté a few tablespoons of shallots or finely minced onions in the saucepan before you add the flour and prepare the sauce.
- Add bacon, or diced ham, to make a richer dish.
- Use chopped herbs for extra flavor and color.
- For a richer sauce, use half-and-half instead of milk.
- Garnish with finely sliced red and green bell peppers to a festive touch.