|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||27%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Tender, flavorful sirloin tips are used in this recipe for slow cooker smothered steak. Budget-friendly lean chuck steak or round steak may be used as well.
The soy sauce and tomatoes make the perfect sauce for the beef and peppers, and a little garlic powder rounds out the flavors.
If you're short on time, skip the browning part. Browning does add some flavor, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Just toss the beef with the flour and add it to the slow cooker, omitting the vegetable oi.
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin tips (cut into pieces or strips)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper (sliced in strips)
- 1 large onion (quartered and sliced)
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms (drained, optional)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
Put the steak pieces in a bag with the flour and shake to coat.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat (or the crockpot insert if it is stovetop safe) and brown the steak pieces on all sides.
To the steak add the bell pepper, sliced onion, and drained sliced mushrooms, if using.
Combine the tomatoes with the soy sauce, garlic powder, black pepper, and crushed pepper, if using. Pour over the steak and vegetables.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
The long slow cooking process, especially on the low setting, can cause excess water from condensation. If you end up with watered-down flavorless juices, strain the liquids into a saucepan (before adding salt). Simmer for a few minutes over medium heat to reduce and concentrate flavors. Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed.
Serve with hot cooked rice, fine noodles, or potatoes and steamed green beans or broccoli.
- The night before you plan to cook, slice the peppers and onions and put them in a container with the drained sliced mushrooms. In another container combine the tomatoes, soy sauce, garlic powder, and crushed pepper, if using. Refrigerate everything until the next day when you are ready to assemble the ingredients in the slow cooker.