|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||41%|
|Total Carbohydrate 49g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||26%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The filling for these slow cooker cabbage rolls is made with a savory mixture of ground beef, ground pork, a little bacon, and cooked rice. The tangy tomato sauce is perfect for this tasty cabbage dish.
The cabbage rolls are cooked in the slow cooker. If you need a faster meal, simmer them on the stovetop for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.*
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 15 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Place the head of cabbage in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave the cabbage on high for about 14 minutes. When the cabbage is cool enough to handle, peel off the leaves.
Fry the salt pork or bacon pieces and set aside.
Combine beef, pork, egg, milk, onion, rice and seasonings; mix well. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture onto a cabbage leaf. Roll it up burrito-style and put into the crockpot (fasten with toothpicks if desired). Repeat with the remaining leaves and meat mixture.
Combine tomato sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over leaves. Add salt pork or bacon and drippings. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- To cook the dish on the stovetop, put the stuffed cabbage leaves in a stockpot or Dutch oven. Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover the pan, and simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- If you are starting with a fresh unfrozen head of cabbage, peel and drop cabbage leaves into boiling salted water; cover and cook for 3 minutes or just until pliable.