The filling for these slow cooker cabbage rolls is made with a savory mixture of ground beef, ground pork, a little bacon, and cooked rice. The tangy tomato sauce is perfect for this tasty cabbage dish.
The cabbage rolls are cooked in the slow cooker. If you need a faster meal, simmer them on the stovetop for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours (see the tips).
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Place the head of cabbage in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave the cabbage on high for about 14 minutes. When the cabbage is cool enough to handle, peel off the leaves.
- Fry the salt pork or bacon pieces and set aside.
- Combine beef, pork, egg, milk, onion, rice and seasonings; mix well. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture onto a cabbage leaf. Roll it up burrito-style and put into the crock pot (fasten with toothpicks if desired). Repeat with the remaining leaves and meat mixture.
- Combine tomato sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over leaves. Add salt pork or bacon and drippings. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
To cook the dish on the stovetop, put the stuffed cabbage leaves in a stockpot or Dutch oven. Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover the pan, and simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
If you are starting with a fresh unfrozen head of cabbage, peel and drop cabbage leaves into boiling salted water; cover and cook for 3 minutes or just until pliable.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|